Friday, October 3, 2008

Displace Me or Bust (April 27, 2007)

Some friends and I are headed off to D.C this weekend to support The Invisible Children. The event is called Displace Me and you will most likely read about it in the paper or hear about it on the news.

Ten years ago the people of Uganda were given 48 hours notice by their government to move out of their homes & into camps to try to protect them from the rebel army's slaughter. Today they still live in these camps with no income, no opportunity to farm, and no resources except what they are rationed. 1000 people die each week in these camps. Yes you read that right. 1000 people per week. And I bet you never heard about this. Well. This weekend we go to bring awareness.

Go to www.invisiblechildren.com to learn more. This weekend I'm
laying down for what I believe in because where you live shouldn't
determin whether you live.


I know we will have amazing stories to tell as we spend just one night living like the displaced people of Uganda. Well...almost. You see we will be sleeping in sleeping bags on "The Mall" in D.C. to support the Invisible Children. We will participate in some activities that model what the displaced people experience. We will be asked to imagine what it would be like to be given 2 days notice to pack up our homes, leave our jobs, and take only what we can carry as essentials.

The people of Uganda did not have ideal conditions as we will. We know we are going home after Saturday night. We will not fear for our lives as we lay on our tarps, hanging out with our friends, playing cards and singing songs. Our experiential night of support will NEVER equal the poverty, the fear, the lonliness, the depression, the worry, the hunger, the sickness, or the despair faced by the displaced families of Uganda. People in these camps face death on a regular basis. Most of us will never know that level of helplessness. But, by participating we give a voice and a face to people who have the power to make a difference.

If you have not signed up for Displace Me and you have this weekend free...head to www.invisiblechildren.com/displaceme. Come to D.C. and lay down for what you believe in.

Matthew 25: 34-40

34"Then the King will say to those on his right, 'Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. 35For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, 36I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.'
37"Then the righteous will answer him, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? 39When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?'
40"The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'

No comments: