Friday, October 3, 2008

MLK Day (January 15, 2007)

Everytime I listen to a speech by Dr. Martin Luther King Jr I am overcome with emotion. It wasnt long ago that most people on my "Friend's List" would have been forbidden to associate with me. Had I been born just a short time ago in history I wouldnt have been allowed to sit in the front row in my church, drink from certain water fountains or attend University. We take our freedoms for granted but when I listen to the speeches I am reminded of those who have gone before me to make my life possible.

I am also reminded of all of my Christ following forefathers and foremothers who were crucified, stoned, beheaded, used as torches to light Nero's fires, jailed, tortured, exiled, shunned, disowned, and disavowed for the name of Christ.

We are so spoiled and we take so much for granted.
I am humbled.

So, although I am working all day I will be celebrating the political and social life of a man who was killed for freedom. But, I will be asking myself...how far am I willing to go for what I believe in? Death threats, public scorn and hate, imprisonment, intimidation, racism, murder...in the name of freedom. Jesus began the work, and many have continued to represent love and justice for Him. Today I celebrate all who have gone before me to give me what I have...and don't deserve.

Galatians 5:1

"For freedom Christ has set us free; stand fast therefore, and do not submit again to a yoke of slavery".

"Pride in the Name of Love" U2
One man come in the name of love
One man come and go
One man come, he to justify
One man to overthrow

In the name of love
One more in the name of love
In the name of love
What more in the name of love?

One man caught on a barbed wire fence
One man he resist
One man washed on an empty beach
One man betrayed with a kiss

In the name of love
One more in the name of love
In the name of love
What more in the name of love?

Early morning, April 4
Shot rings out in the Memphis sky
Free at last, they took your life
They could not take your pride

In the name of love
One more in the name of love
In the name of love
What more in the name of love?
In the name of love
One more in the name of love
In the name of love

Martin Luther King, Jr.
"In struggling for human dignity the oppressed people of the world must not allow themselves to become bitter or indulge in hate campaigns. To retaliate with hate and bitterness would do nothing but intensify the hate in the world. Along the way of life, someone must have sense enough and morality enough to cut off the chain of hate. This can be done only by projecting the ethics of love to the center of our lives".

No comments: