Friday, October 3, 2008

Jehovah Jira: Another "Displace Me" Lesson (May 4, 2007)

Luke 12:22-31

22Then Jesus said to his disciples: "Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat; or about your body, what you will wear. 23Life is more than food, and the body more than clothes. 24Consider the ravens: They do not sow or reap, they have no storeroom or barn; yet God feeds them. And how much more valuable you are than birds! 25Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life? 26Since you cannot do this very little thing, why do you worry about the rest?
27"Consider how the lilies grow. They do not labor or spin. Yet I tell you, not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. 28If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today, and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, how much more will he clothe you, O you of little faith! 29And do not set your heart on what you will eat or drink; do not worry about it. 30For the pagan world runs after all such things, and your Father knows that you need them. 31But seek his kingdom, and these things will be given to you as well".

When I was planning the trip to Washington, D.C I was being careful. Now that things are winding down for me in VA as I head towards Africa every dollar counts and I cannot afford to be extravagant. The Invisible Children "Displace Me" organizers contacted me and asked if I would be willing to lead a team of volunteers. Myself and 2 other team leaders would be responsible for running the registration table and ensuring that 6,000 people were checked-in and accounted for. They asked if I could arrive Friday night to meet with my team. I had to decline because I could not afford to stay the night in D.C. in a hotel. The only reason I could afford Saturday night was because we would be sleeping outside on "The Mall" in sleeping bags. They graciously allowed me to miss the training session so that I could still be a leader.

They sent me an email list of who was to be on my team and I sent everyone an email introducing myself and thanking them for volunteering. My email is OBVIOUSLY Christian (imajesusfreak) and I have a quote by C.S. Lewis as my signature. I hesitated thinking "not all of these will be Christian. Maybe I should delete my signature to avoid offense". Then I thought "I wont apologize. I plan to pray and be vocal this weekend about Jesus so they might as well know what they are getting themselves into".

Not 5 minutes after I sent the email I received a response from Michele one of my volunteers. She thanked me for being a vocal Christian and then began to share her love of Christ. She shared a prophecy she had been given about America and Africa and we were instantly friends. By the end of the day we had racked up quite a few emails. She asked where I was staying Fri and I told her I couldnt make it. She offered myself and June a free stay in her apartment. We were complete strangers to her yet God opened her heart to receive us. And this wasnt just any old place. God provided us with the best of the best. Her gorgeous condo. Her immense hospitailty. And the prayer that we ended up praying as we stayed up to get to know one another was so beautiful. The Holy Spirit just enveloped the entire house.

Thank you Jesus!

This was the first in a long line of things God did for us as a provider during this trip. He orchastrated a free ride for some other friends of mine. Our ride fell through and a woman from ODU who I am merely acquainted with offered to pay for a rental car. Friends purchased lunch for me. Someone from my team purchased me an energy drink on Saturday. Michelle drove us all around town. Strangers helped us navigate the Metro system. We even stumbled into an Afgani restuarant where the food was heavenly! Blessing after blessing God just provided for us.

God is so faithful. I consider none of these things mere coincidences. God continually reminded us that this cause...feeding orphans, helping the homeless, girding up widows,bearing one another's burdens...is His cause. That it doesnt matter where people live, the color of their skin, or whom they choose to worship...we are commanded as Christians to serve them. We were busy about the Father's business. And in His grace and mercy He took care of ours.

STAY TUNED FOR THE NEXT LIFE LESSON I LEARNED "ELOHIM...The personal God"

No comments: