Friday, October 3, 2008

Judgement (March 23, 2007)

It is easy...oh so easy to criticize other Christians. To judge them for this behavior or that behavior. Oftentimes it isn't even verbal or spread like gossip. Our silent disapproval can be just as scathing on a spiritual level. But, I have noticed an increasing trend. We bring attention to criticism and we critique the very things that we do in our own lives. We expect "the church" to change yet we judge others daily with our disapproval, our exclusion, or our own pride. Rather than illuminating what is wrong we need to begin to do the right things in our own personal lives. We can't hold grudges silently while telling the world not to judge the sins of others...

I completely rest in Matthew 7:1-5. It is where I want to live. It is how I want others to treat me and how I want to be treated. "Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you. Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? How can you say to your brother, 'Let me take the speck out of your eye,' when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye" (Matthew 7:1-5)

Romans 2:3 also agrees with this point: "So when you, a mere man, pass judgment on them and yet do the same things, do you think you will escape God's judgment?"

But (and this is Point # 2 for me) there is a healthy part of judgment. It comes from a humble heart that has prayed and sought God and has enough wisdom to speak. It is from a contrite heart that recognizes its own short comings and does not judge for the sake of judging...but imparts wisdom IN LOVE when the Holy Spirit directs. The "in love" part is crucial. It means not standing around criticizing, complaining, and gossiping because one is fed up with what they've seen. But, coming from a heart that has the spiritual growth of an individual or group as the paramount reason for sharing the wisdom. This type of judgment has been covered in prayer and is birthed out of love not bitterness.

"I have already passed judgment on the one who did this, just as if I were present" (I Cor. 5:3)

Do you not know that we will judge angels? How much more the things of this life!" (I Cor. 6:3).

"When I say to a wicked man, 'You will surely die,' and you do not warn him or speak out to dissuade him from his evil ways in order to save his life, that wicked man will die for his sin, and I will hold you accountable for his blood. But if you do warn the wicked man and he does not turn from his wickedness or from his evil ways, he will die for his sin; but you will have saved yourself" (Ezekiel 3:18-19).

"What business is it of mine to judge those outside the church? Are you not to judge those inside? God will judge those outside. Expel the wicked man from among you." (I Cor. 5:12-13).

I guess I say all this to say that we as individuals talk and write blogs and bulletins so much about judging others in the church while we unfairly and unjustly judge others in our own lives. Sometimes in secret. But many times through gossip or harmful negative speech. The Bible says "life and death is in the power of the tongue". We do a great job of speaking death over others privately or in our own "Holy huddles" but we publicly act as if judgment never leaves our lips. I challenge everyone (INCLUDING MYSELF) to HONESTLY evaluate our judgment. Have we spoken harsh words about people we are fed up with such as "I guess I shouldn't expect anything more from them" or "This group is too toxic for me" or "Wow. That person is so not walking right with God" but then we turn around and tell people not to judge. I myself have been guilty of that. Of not taking people where they are in their walk but rather expecting something different and being bitter when it doesn't happen the way I think I should. Who am I? I am not God and have not the right to judge when I haven't prayed for that person or group and fasted over the situation. We need to be honest about whether this is an area in our life that we need to submit to God because it is called pride and it is not the will of God. Too often we are just wagging tongues tearing down our brothers and sisters just to seem superior when we haven't approached them in love and gotten to the root of the issue. It is rooted in pride…and is EVIL.

But, if we are in the will of God and have admonished in love and grace...careful to teach the right way and encourage and direct...then the Bible gives us the right to uphold His word with other Christians through judgment. I myself can say that I am not at a point where I deserve to judge anyone because I have not prayed, fasted, and labored for an answer on any situation that vexes me as far as the "walk" of others. If the rest of you out there are spiritually mature enough to be in that place...I welcome the judgment and ask that you admonish me and others in love. It will be well received. So…I guess that is my challenge. We need to seriously examine our motives in judgment. Pride? The need to be right (again pride)? Sincerity or scathing harm? Love? And please notice I said "we" need to examine our motives. I am SO right there too. I plan on seriously seeking God on judgment because I want to please my Savior.

No comments: